The name "Jinan" (also Chi-Nan "reaching southward") comes from the Classic of History, a compilation of documentary records related to events in ancient Chinese history. The articles reads, "His speech and teachings spread from South, from China to the rest of the world Jinan University has 27 colleges, comprising 59 departments and offering 89 undergraduate major fields. Among the 55 departments, 43 offer master's degree programs and 19 offer Ph.D degree-granting programs. There are 15 postdoctoral research stations, 182 research institutes and 77 labs in Jinan University. The university has four national key disciplines, eight key disciplines of the Overseas Chinese Affairs Office of the State Council, 20 Guangdong Province Level-I key disciplines, and four Guangdong Province Level-II key disciplines. The university has a key research base of national humanity and social sciences, a teaching and research base for Chinese language and literature of the Education Ministry, a base for national university cultural quality education, a base of national base for teaching Chinese as a foreign language, an educational base for overseas Chinese education of the Overseas Chinese Affairs Office of the State Council, and a key research base of humanity and social science of Guangdong Province. The university has one national engineering center, 7 ministerial centers (engineering centers of the Ministry of Education) and provincial centers, and 11 key ministerial and provincial key laboratories. There are 50,535 students in the university, including 10,767 graduates and 22,527 undergraduates. The number of overseas students, including foreign students, overseas Chinese students, students from Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan, is 13,512.
Introduction to Jinan University
Jinan University is a key comprehensive university listed in Project 211 and jointly established by the Overseas Chinese Affairs Office of the State Council, the Ministry of Education of the People's Republic of China, and Guangdong Province. Jinan Academy, the university’s predecessor, was founded in Nanjing in 1906 by the Qing government.
As the first institution of higher education established by the government to enroll overseas Chinese students, Jinan University occupies an important position in the history of Chinese higher education. JNU is one of the universities that have had the same name for more than a century and was one of the first to apply the academic credit system in China. It was the first comprehensive university to set up a medical school, the first university to found a research institute of overseas Chinese studies and the first university to start a business school.
Jinan has seven disciplines ranking top 1% in the world: Chemistry, Clinical Medicine, Biology & Biochemistry, Pharmacology & Toxicology, Material Science, Engineering and Agricultural Sciences. In 2013, Jinan University has following disciplines listed in the Ministry of Education Discipline Ranking Top 20: Applied Economics, Journalism and Communication, Traditional Chinese Pharmacology, Chinese Language and Literature, Statistics, Fundamental Medicine and Optical Engineering.
Jinan University develops a great range of international cooperation and has signed agreements with 286 universities, cultural institutions and research centers in 50 counties or regions around the world. It is one of the universities providing Chinese Government Scholarships. Jinan has more than 100 students’ recruitment agents in more than 60 countries and established International School to offer various programs taught in English.
Named as the Top Higher Education Institution for Overseas Chinese, Jinan University has cultivated more than 300,000 talents from over 160 countries or regions around the world. We can say that where there is the sea, you will meet Jinan graduates. Jinan University is the first choice for the students from Hong Kong, Macao, Taiwan as well as the overseas Chinese and international students who intend to study in the mainland China.
Academic Strength & Environment
Medical School, established in 1978, was the first in all the comprehensive universities in mainland China that recruited students from abroad as well as from Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan. In 1984, the college was registered in WHO (World Health Organization) of the United Nations, making it possible for its graduates directly take medical license examinations offered in any country all over the world.
There are four hospitals accredited Grade A of the National Level III affiliated to the school, providing great convenience for the students to make internship. Now the college offers 6 Ph. D. programs, 18 master degree programs and 5 undergraduate programs.
• Ranked top Clinical Medicine program in China universities.
• Comprehensive major, students will be armed with sound basic knowledge expertise, and skills in modern medicine, and can be qualified for teaching and research work done in the field of clinical medicine.
• All courses taught in English, without Chinese language proficiency requirement.
• The First Clinical Medical School is a comprehensive hospital, rated "Top Grade, Level III".
To fulfill the needs of modern medical development, this program is designed to train students who are enabled to develop morally, intellectually, physically and aesthetically as clinical specialists. Students trained under this program will be armed with sound basic knowledge expertise, and skills in modern medicine, and can be qualified for teaching and research work done in the field of clinical medicine.
Students trained under this program should
1. Students are to be cultivated with a strong love for medical cause and medical ethics of healing the wounded and rescuing the dying, thus getting well prepared to be medical professionals with lofty ideals, integrity, knowledge and a strong sense of discipline.
2. Students are expected to possess
a) a good command of basic theories, knowledge and skills in their field of studies;
b) information of the latest development in that field;
c) sound knowledge and clinical skills in disease diagnosis, treatment and preventive health services;
d) sound expertise in traditional Chinese medicine theory.
3. Students are expected to have a good mastery of a foreign language to be able to read books and journals in that language.
4. Students are to be trained with a sound mastery of basic methods of medical literature retrieval; and be able to do practical work and scientific research.
Systemic Anatomy, Histology & Embryology, Human Physiology, Pathology, Medical Microbiology, Pharmacology, Internal Medicine, Surgery, Obstetrics, Pediatrics, Preventive and Social Medicine, etc.
Bachelor's Degree in Medicine
Internship and Career
The University has 13 affiliated hospitals with altogether 9,234 sick beds. The staff of the 13 hospitals totals 14,157. The First Clinical Medical School is a comprehensive hospital, rated "Top Grade, Level III", which qualifies it to teach, undertake research and provide medical treatment, disease prevention, health care and rehabilitation. The School has 45 clinical departments with 850 hospital beds, covering all subjects. It also possesses an extensive array of advanced medical instruments, among which are a super high field intensity MRI, multi-slice CT, DSA, SPECT, CLD, Auto Bio Morphin, Linear Accelerator and Gamma-Knife tumor-therapy instrument. Presently under construction with an expected completion date of 2011 is a new facility with an area of over 70,000 sqm and 1,200 hospital beds.
Methods of Admission
Exemption from Entrance Examinations and Admission
To satisfy the requirements for entrance to Jinan University, all the applicants are required to
(1) have a written record of good conduct and good health.
(2) have graduated from an overseas senior high school or reached the equivalent level of education;
(3) for overseas Chinese applicants and foreign students of Chinese origin, have been recommended by the nearest Chinese Embassy (Consulate) or Office of the chargé d'affairesor by any member of overseas Chinese Organizations, overseas Chinese schools, or any respected members from overseas Chinese circles;
(4) for foreign students, apply through application in person with two teachers as referees;
(5) have scored Grade 5 (overall score of 180) or above in HSK if applying for programs instructed in the Chinese language; non-native English-speaking applicants applying for programs taught in English have to satisfy one of the following requirements:
IELTS: overall score of 5.5 (with at least 5 in each section)
TOEFL IBT:overall score of 80
SAT:overall score of 1400
Clinical Medicine (M.B.B.S.) Goals
The program for Clinical Medicine (MBBS) is designed to train the students to be specialists in the field of medicine. Students after passing the examination of license for medical practitioner in his homeland should be able to be competent to work in the field of medicine, medical education and scientific research.
The program for clinical medicine (MBBS) makes efforts to equip the students to acquire knowledge and skill in diagnosis, therapeutic and prevention. At the end of the program, the undergraduate students should:
1. have the characteristic and attitude required for a doctor, be exemplary citizen by observation of medical ethics and fulfilling social and professional obligations, so as to respond to national aspirations.
2. achieve competence in practice of holistic medicine, preventive, curative and rehabilitative aspects of common diseases; acquire the knowledge of development of medicine.
3. be competent in diagnosis and management of common health problem, as well as the server health problems.
4. acquire the skill of carrying out scientific research.
Anatomy, physiology, histology and embryology, biochemistry, pathology, microbiology, pharmacology, community medicine, forensic medicine, surgery, obstetrics, gynecology, pediatrics.
One year rotational internship in hospitals (52 weeks)
Duration of the program:
Students shall undergo a period of study extending over four and a half years from the date of commencement of his study in pre–clinical subjects. After he passes all the subjects, he should finish one year compulsory rotating internship in hospital of his home country or in China. If he has passed HSK band 6 and the medical Chinese language examination of Jinan University, he can finish his rotating internship in hospitals in China.
I. Undergraduate Admissions
Jinan University takes a bi-seasonal enrollment policy. There are two ways to enter either the pre-university program or bachelor degree program of Jinan University.
(1) Enrollment without examination
Any high school graduates with a relatively high level of Chinese proficiency (including reading, writing and listening ability), recommended by Chinese embassies, consulates or charged affairs abroad or leaders of ethnic Chinese communities, can apply directly to the Admissions Office of Jinan University, or apply through local Enrollment Affairs Office of Jinan University, and will be subject to enrollment without examination according to their academic performance in the middle school.
(2) Enrollment by examination
High school graduates with a relatively low degree of Chinese proficiency who apply to bachelors degree programs are required to take the HSK test of China (the Chinese Proficiency Test) and reach C level. High school graduates with a relatively high degree of English proficiency can apply directly to the International School of Jinan University. Students who have no Chinese background who want to apply to our bachelor degree program on Chinese Language please read the prospectus of our College of Chinese Language and Culture.
Application Requirements and Materials
All applicants from overseas Chinese candidates, foreign students of Chinese origin, foreign students, who have finished senior high school education or reached the equivalent level of education, with a written record of good conduct and good health and having no previous criminal record, under the age of 30 are eligible for application.
1. English proficiency test certificate
2. Personal statement (Self-introduction)
3. Valid photocopy of passport
4. 1.5 inch latest photo (bust, bare headed)
5. High school academic transcript
6. High school graduate certificate
7. Letter of recommendation